A place to share my crafts and sewing projects

Friday, March 8, 2013

Amy Butler Blossom Bags

I just finished 2 Amy Butler Blossom Bags. I found the pattern to be straightforward. It felt like it took forever to cut out and interface, but I am very happy with the end result. I added some extra interfacing and hand basted it, so it was not noticeable on the outside. I have made about 10 different bags and only used 1. These 2 -I will be using. Great size and style for me. The plaid one I decided to use gate clasps so that I can change the handle sizes. I used turn locks on both of them. It was much easier than I expected and I can't believe I had been so intimidated by them. I love the look they add. The floral one I love except I wish I had longer handles on it. But I did not have enough fabric for the longer straps. I literally had no scraps of this fabric larger than 4"x4". I really love the design of the Blossom bag. I used a wool fabric that I have had for almost 20 years on the plaid bag. It had enough forgiveness in the fabric not to show any little wrinkles from flipping the lining etc. Home Dec weight was used on the floral bag. It worked nicely. I would steer away from normal weight cotton fabrics for this bag. I think it would be prone to wrinkling and the heavier weight fabrics are nice in helping the bag to stay curved. I changed the inside a bit to eliminate a divider panel but add a zipper pouch area in the lining.