A place to share my crafts and sewing projects

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Quilting









I have been meaning to post about a few of the quilts I have made over the last year. I got back into quilting after looking for a premade king quilt for years. I could not find anything in the colors that I was looking for and I wanted a more modern style than most of the ones for sale. I finally broke down and bought one for $120 from JcPenney. The colors were pretty good and I liked the style bought when I put it on my bed it was too short. I needed a quilt that verged on the length of a bedspread. My husband tends to steal blankets so I was tired of waking up to pull some blanket back from him in the middle of the night. I was disheartened with the purchase and finally became determined to make my own. It took me a month and 4 different fabric orders to figure out the exact fabric pattern I was going to use. I loved the Moda Breath of Avignon Green Treille print. From their I chose out all my other fabrics. The quilt took an immense amount of fabric and 2 months of evenings to complete. It was my first major project using a walking foot so I had some learning time to put in. I also came up with the design myself. I needed a quilt that could be broken up in sections to easily machine quilt. There was no way I could attempt pulling through a king quilt on my small sewing machine work area. I adore how everytime I wash the quilt the raw edges ruffle even more giving it a great textural interest. I ended up spending $125 on the fabric alone but I LOVE my quilt. It makes me smile everytime I walk in the room. Well worth the time and money. It also inspired my to take down my old wall hanging and add draped semi-sheer fabric to frame the bed.

I enjoyed using the same pattern for a quilt for my daughters daybed. I just finished to colorful boys quilts for donating to IRC. Rag quilts have also been a side project the last year. The Wilderness Quilt I made 8 years ago it was my first attempt at applique and it shows ;) I need to go back and make some adjustments to it and do some machine top quilting one of these days.


No comments:

Post a Comment